Digital film and media production is listed as mass media-comprehensive on our majors list and in the Undergraduate Catalog.
Becoming a digital film and media production major
To begin course work in the field of digital film and media production, you initially need to be admitted to Missouri State. Before completing 75 credit hours, you must also be admitted to a degree program.
Departmental admission requirements
All students majoring in the Department of Media, Journalism & Film (except for those seeking a major in Electronic Arts) must satisfy the following requirements before they can be admitted to the program. (In most cases, these requirements should be met by the time the student has completed 75 hours of coursework.)
- Complete a minimum of 30 credit hours.
- Have a combined grade point average (Missouri State and transfer) of 2.30 or higher.
- Complete COM 115 and ENG 110.
- Complete the following departmental preadmission core courses and the appropriate major-specific course with at least a C- in each of these courses.
- Achieve a combined GPA of 2.70 or higher across any three of the four preadmission courses (MED 120(3), MED 130(3), MED 220(3), and the appropriate major-specific course). To achieve the 2.70 GPA, a student may retake any of these courses only once and may retake no more than two of these courses.
- Submit application for admission and receive approval by faculty advisor and Head of the Department of Media, Journalism & Film.
Departmental majors may not take a second major within the department.
Specific admission requirements
A student must achieve a combined GPA of 2.70 or higher across any three of the four preadmission courses [MED 120(3), MED 130(3), MED 220(3) and MED 365(3)] along with a combined GPA of 2.30 or higher to be admitted to this major.
The admission process
To gain full admittance into the digital film and media production program, follow the steps below:
- Declare or change your major to digital film and media production by visiting the Academic Advisement Center, University Hall 109
- Meet with your assigned advisor to discuss admission requirements and to develop a plan of study
- Complete the program’s admission requirements
- Work with the department of media, journalism and film to complete the Application to a Degree Program form to update your record
When you declare your major, you will be listed as a pre-major until you satisfy all admission requirements.