Why consider our graduate certificate program?
- Our graduate certificate program provides training in drama and visual storytelling, character and plot development, genre and adaptation, and an understanding of the craft of writing for both television and film.
- The graduate certificate enables you to create a screenwriting portfolio, the necessary first-step to finding work as a screenwriter in television or film.
- The graduate certificate is a great option for working professionals, long-distance learners and graduate students who wish to add a screenwriting specialization to their educational experience.
- Using the industry-standard model of “workshopping” script pages, students learn from one another as well as their instructors as they work to develop, hone and polish at least one script. Every student in the program both gives and receives critical input on style, writing structure and technique, and story line.
- The graduate certificate is recognized within the television and film industries as an indication of mastery in the field specified by the certificate, above and beyond typical academic degrees.
Certificate completion options
The graduate certificate in screenwriting for television and film is available entirely online over a two year period if this option is preferable. Seated sections of every class except the MED 567/669 Script Rewriting and Marketing will also be offered during this rotation period.
You may pursue the graduate certificate in screenwriting for television and film as a stand-alone certificate program or in partnership with another graduate program. If you are currently a graduate student at Missouri State, you may add the certificate to your graduate program by completing the Certificate Plan of Study form.