Departmental admission requirements
All students majoring in the Department of Media, Journalism & Film (except for those seeking a major in Electronic Arts) must satisfy the following requirements before they can be admitted to the program. (In most cases, these requirements should be met by the time the student has completed 75 hours of coursework.)
- Complete a minimum of 30 credit hours.
- Have a combined grade point average (Missouri State and transfer) of 2.30 or higher.
- Complete COM 115 and ENG 110.
- Complete the following departmental preadmission core courses and the appropriate major-specific course with at least a C- in each of these courses.
- Departmental preadmission core: MED 120(3), 130(3), 220(3)
- Required major-specific course:
Journalism major - JRN 270(3)
Film and Media Studies major - MED 274(3)
Digital Film and Television Production major - MED 365(3)
- Achieve a combined GPA of 2.70 or higher across any three of the four preadmission courses (MED 120(3), MED 130(3), MED 220(3), and the appropriate major-specific course). To achieve the 2.70 GPA, a student may retake any of these courses only once and may retake no more than two of these courses.
- Submit application for admission and receive approval by faculty advisor and Head of the Department of Media, Journalism & Film.
Departmental majors may not take a second major within the department.
Specific admission requirements
A student must achieve a combined GPA of 2.70 or higher across any three of the four preadmission courses [MED 120(3), MED 130(3), MED 220(3) and MED 365(3)] along with a combined GPA of 2.30 or higher to be admitted to this major.